Wiring looms, Dials, Chart Plotters, Fish Finders etc.
Moderators: Ed, betty boop, Gazjen
started Betty in prep for this weekends failed outing and noticed the blower wasnt working-Hmm - so went round to have a look and- ouch - burnt my arm on the wiring loom - having had this before on a homer simpson inflatable santa (a whole other story) - stuck my fingers in the fan- flick- now it works fine. BUT shouldnt the fuse have blown first? obvious the motor on the fan had siezed but I'm a little supprised the wiring got hotter and hotter- if I hadnt of noticed it, wot would have been the next thing to happen, blown fuse or fire?
- Posts: 1716
- Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:46 am
Fuse must be rated too high. That's the trouble with fuses, cables etc. People choose the cheapest (thinnest) cables they can get away with for a particular job. In some cases this can mean that abnormal loads which are above the cable rating but not the fuse rating will cause the wires to burn out instead. A sudden direct short will blow the fuse much quicker than the cable could get warm to but run the cable/fuse just on its limit and fuses may not offer the protection you want.
- Posts: 1687
- Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:17 am
- Location: Surrey
Return to Electrics & Electronics
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest