Just added this new forum, so to start it off.....here's a post from a while ago.
I fitted some Bearing Savers over a year ago to keep the cost of buying 4 sets of bearings down. The bearings are fine, no problem with them, but the brakes........HMMMMMM!!!!
It's a long story, so to keep it short, I have some additional inner seals, which you are supposed to have in order that the ones on the inner bearings don't blow. They are ever so very slightly too big by approx 2mm. Several supposed experts said that as long as I keep the pressure in the savers to a minimum, the grease should not push through the inner seals. WRONG!!!!
The plan was to try to grind the additional seals down to fit, however best laid plans of mice and men and all that, it didn't work.
Here's the result...........
There are 4 of them
Started to clean with paraffin and kerosene...
Got the drums off and started on them....they had been re-painted about 5 yrs ago.
Stripped everything down and treated the backplate and suspension arm to some rust treatment....but think I may get a bo**ocking from Argonaut, cos I should have used Galvafroid, it's good stuff.
Drums painted, well nearly..two more coats to go...sorry Argonaut, Hammerite again, I've ordered some Galvafroid
Brakes given a treatment too....
Here's a pic of one of the additional inner seals I ground down. Trouble was that the lip is only about 1mm thick, so it looks nice and snug, but when I took it out it fell apart.
So, I followed some advice, again from Argonaut and went onto Ebay and found some US inner seals that fit drum size 1.98"....perfect.
I'll post a few more pics when I fit them....